Caren Ulrich Stacy
Caren Ulrich Stacy is a talent management expert with more than 20 years of experience in lawyer recruitment, development, and diversity. After serving as the head of talent for several top law firms, including Arnold & Porter, Weil Gotshal, and Cooley, Caren co-founded a start-up company that pioneered a “Moneyball” approach to lawyer recruitment and executed the first empirical study to uncover the traits and behaviors of successful rainmakers.
Caren is currently the managing partner of the Legal Talent Lab, which creates and invests in innovative talent and diversity initiatives that improve the legal profession. The Lab’s hallmark project – the OnRamp Fellowship – has helped boost diversity in law firms as the first “Returnship” ever launched in the legal profession for women lawyers. Other current projects include:
- TakeALittleAction.com – Highlighting individuals and initiatives that advance women in law, tech, science, finance, and other industries to encourage support of their efforts
- Law Firm Culture Profile – Facilitating the first empirical study with AmLaw 200 law firms to analyze firms’ overall cultures as well as the micro-cultures that exist in each practice/office
- The Judicial Diversity Initiative – Providing diverse lawyers with details on how to apply for state judgeships and a listing of current openings across the U.S.
- WomenLegalExperts.com – Promoting successful women lawyers across the country who have been identified as experts in their field by Chambers, BTI, and the National Law Journal
- Women in Law Innovation Summit – Bringing the top law firm leaders from across the country together for a shark tank style pitch competition to design and implement innovative ideas for advancing women in the legal profession
Awards & Honors
Caren was awarded the National Association of Legal Professionals Mark of Distinction in 2009, the College of Law Practice Management InnovAction Award in 2014, and the Ms. JD “Strength in Numbers” Award in 2015. The "Take A Little Action" video and website that Caren created with Steve Gluckman to showcase individuals who are advancing women was awarded the 2015 Catalyst #DisruptTheDefault award. In addition to these awards, Caren was elected as a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management in 2010 – an honor awarded to fewer than 200 individuals in the country – and appointed to the Colorado Supreme Court Chief Justice’s Commission on Improving the Legal Profession in 2013.
Caren serves as an adjunct professor for the University of Denver College of Law, a Judicial Performance Commissioner for the 20th District in Boulder, Colorado, and a board member for DirectWomen. She is also the founder and editor of TalentThinkTank.com, a collaborative blog with more than 25 talent management experts. Over the past two decades, she has contributed to more than 250 talent management presentations and publications and authored several highly regarded books, including Loyalty by Design: A Practical Guide for Developing an Effective Attorney Integration Program.