M. Tamara Box Box
Class of 2020
Tamara Box is currently Managing Partner (Chief Executive equivalent), Europe and Middle East for global law firm Reed Smith, ranked in the world’s top twenty with revenues exceeding $1.2 billion annually. Tamara is also a member of the Senior Management Team (C-Suite) and an executive director of the governing board of the firm. Tamara is one of a six member senior executive body with responsibility for overseeing the development of the firm’s global strategy and operations, including its investments in new business lines, new offices and new technologies.
Prior to becoming an executive director, she served as a non-executive director on the board of the firm for more than two years, providing governance of a multi-national entity whose revenues match or exceed that of many public companies. Before becoming Managing Partner, Tamara was global Chair of the firm’s Financial Industry Group, where she had P&L responsibility for the largest practice group with more than $250m in revenues.
For almost three decades, Tamara has advised the C-Suite, Treasury teams and General Counsels of financial services clients, including traditional investment banks, asset managers and private equity, debt and hedge funds as well as corporates in both developed and emerging markets. Her experience includes advising on establishment, regulatory and compliance, M&A, asset and debt acquisitions and disposals, capital raising and restructurings. She garnered a particular reputation, becoming a market-leading expert, as the go-to advisor to the directors and boards of securitisation vehicles through and following the financial crisis.
Tamara is a business leader with global experience of leading and founding businesses, garnering board level, functional and operational experience of M&A, risk management, finance, compliance, human resources, governance, technology, compensation, strategy and crisis-related issues, ensuring she would make strong contributions to any board or to board committees such as Finance, Risk, Audit and Remuneration.
Dual-qualified to practice law in both the US and the UK, she has worked and lived in the US, Asia, and Europe, while advising clients all over the world, including in the Middle East, Turkey, South Africa, Russia, Eastern Europe, the UK and Asia. The author of more than fifty articles and the speaker at hundreds of events across the globe, Tamara is a recognized expert in her field. She is a frequently sought after spokesperson and commentator for press and media on topics ranging from securitisation, capital raising, emerging markets financings, social impact finance, real estate finance, M&A and lift outs in professional services, business development and gender balance.
Not-for-Profit Board Roles
- Court of Governors and member of the Audit Committee of the London School of Economics
- Board of Companions of the Chartered Management Institute
- Trustee, member of Operations Committee of the Eve Appeal, the UK’s premier charity for gynaecological cancers
- Advisory Board of Theirworld, an international children’s charity founded by former Prime Minister Gordon and Sarah Brown focused on health and education initiatives
- Chair of the “Women of Influence” Board for Cancer Research UK, supporting CRUK’s women scientists
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD)
- Women Corporate Directors (WCD)
- Financial Markets Law Committee – Member of Forum for Securities Markets
- Founding member of the Steering Committee of the 30% Club, a group of Chairmen and CEOs dedicated to increasing the gender balance of corporate boards. This hugely successful organisation now claims more than 100 chairmen members from the FTSE100, FTSE250 and professional services as well as multiple chapters around the world
- International Women’s Forum, membership committee
- Co-Chair of the French Women’s Business Club (part of the French Chamber of Great Britain)
- “Best in Structured Finance” at Euromoney’s Women in Business Law Awards
- “Eminent Lawyer” in Chambers’ UK Guide
- Ranked in the Financial Times (now Yahoo Finance) Global HERoes Champions of Women in Business List every year since inception
- Mentor of the Year at the Women of the Future awards
- The UK’s All-Party Parliamentary Group’s first Commission on the Future of Management & Leadership in the UK
- Top 30 Inspirational Woman and Champion of Diversity by Brummel Magazine
Tamara holds an honours degree (B.Sc.) in Monetary Economics from the London School of Economics and Political Science as well as an honours degree from Georgetown Law Centre in Washington, D.C.
Tamara is an American and a British citizen who has lived in London for 23 years.