Sylvia is a legal executive who has served as lead global counsel to global financial services companies (Morgan Stanley and American Express), as Deputy General Counsel (GC) to a premier asset management firm (Bridgewater), and Chief Financial Officer to a tech/ AI startup. She guides public and private companies to develop and adopt technology innovations that create value, advance and transform businesses, and enhance operational effectiveness. She has guided Governance and Risk Management committees, including Global Technology Governance; Cybersecurity and Information Security Governance, Global Privacy and Data Protection. Most recently she served as the Chief Administrative Officer and GC, overseeing Finance, HR and external relations, at a tech startup developing offerings using AI and computer vision. She has also served as a Board member to a tech start up.
BOARD & INDUSTRY SKILLS
- Risk Assessment
- Regulatory Compliance
- IP Strategy, protection & monetization
- Complex commercial arrangements
- Supplier Risk Management
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Geographic Expansion
- Financial Services/Fin Tech
- Tech/AI/Computer Vision
EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
- Develops Global Privacy & Data Protection programs, to enable cross border transfers of data for business operations (across 43 jurisdictions).
- Enhances cyber-incident readiness by developing coordinated enterprise-wide incident response plans.
- Develops strategy/procedures for adopting cloud computing, data analytics, mobile tech, in risk managed and regulatory compliant manner.
- Creates holistic IP and information asset protection programs that meet business objectives.
- Enables geographic expansion (16 new countries) by devising strategy for deployment of tech/security infrastructure and design of trans border information flow.
- Develops Supplier Mgt and Due Diligence programs (2,500 suppliers, $4Bn+spend).
- Negotiates strategic partnerships with global service providers to transform corporate functions, improve service quality/cost effectiveness.
- Executes acquisitions and divestitures (JV with Mitsubishi, Smith Barney acquisition, Discover divestiture).
BOARDS & LEADERSHIP
- Board Member: Reynen Court, Inc., start up app store for cloud based technologies for the legal industry.
- Management Board Member: International Bar Association (IBA), the leading association of international practitioners, with more than 80,000 individual members and 190 bar associations and law societies.
- Member, Constitution and Governance Committee of the IBA.
- Chair, IBA Legal Practice Division.
- Chair, NYC Bar Association, IT, Cyber & Privacy Law committee; Co-Chair of AI subcommittee.
- Law firm partner, Brown Raysman & Millstein, NYC.
- Adjunct Professor, Brooklyn Law School, NYC.
- Building and developing high performing teams.
- Frequent panelist at IBA and NYC Bar conferences.
- Education: New York University School of Law, JD; Barnard College, Columbia University, A.B, magna cum laude.