Summary of Key Contributions
- 40+ years of business and legal experience in diverse industries advising multinationals and entrepreneurs in a global economy.
- Extensive knowledge of cross-cultural and international business and geopolitical relations, with a particular focus on Asia.
- Strong relationships with decision-makers, especially in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, and Japan.
- Independent Director experience at a NYSE – listed company and an international trust bank.
- Management experience in both start-up and mature corporate operations as well as multi-geographical and diverse business operations.
- Recognized leader in promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and in the community.
- Language and cultural fluency in Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, and French.
Alice Young Advisory LLC (2015-Present). Asia business strategy and consulting to companies, entrepreneurs and individuals doing business or investing in Asia.
Founder and Principal
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP (1994 – 2015). A leading international law firm, with more than 1000 lawyers in 15 offices worldwide, representing public and private companies, governmental entities, financial institutions, and other organizations in matters around the world.
Chair of the Asia Pacific Practice (Partner 1994-2013, Special Counsel 2013-2015, Retired in 2015)
- Head of practice team of lawyers based in the U.S. and Asia.
- Strategic advisor and lead counsel to corporate clients and entrepreneurs on their business activities throughout Asia, including Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines, and China.
- Counsel to senior management and Boards of Directors on complex cross-border transactions and Asia legal and governmental strategies in various industries, including banking, cosmetics, apparel, home office products, consumer products, industrial, manufacturing, distribution, outsourcing, technology, food and beverages, insurance, financial services, real estate, energy, telecommunications, satellite, and Internet.
- Interaction with senior government officials, decision-makers and strategists in Asia and the U.S.
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP (1987 – 1994). Global law firm with approximately 550 lawyers who provide a full range of financial and business legal services to many of the world’s leading financial, industrial, and commercial enterprises, as well as governments, institutions, and individuals.
Partner and Head of the Japan Practice
- Responsible for a significant increase in U.S. and global clients.
- Advised clients on legal and business transactions and coordinated with Tokyo and Hong Kong offices.
Graham & James, now Squire Patton Boggs (1981 – 1987). A global law firm with more than 850 lawyers in 30 offices and 14 countries.
Founder and Resident Partner, New York Office
- Founded and managed all aspects of the New York office operations, expanding from one to 30 lawyers.
- First minority, first woman and youngest lawyer to head New York law firm office (1981).
- Successful in breaking even financially after two years, an all-time record for New York branch law offices, and was profitable every year thereafter.
- Served on Firmwide Management Committee responsible for finance, business development, and domestic and international offices.
- Developed new business in areas such as banking, technology, insurance, industrials, and consumer products.
Coudert Brothers (1974 – 1981). Law firm specializing in international law (now defunct).
- Pioneer American lawyer in early 1970s, including Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines (from 1974), and China (from 1979).
- Based in New York, Tokyo, and Hong Kong.
Board and Committee Memberships
- Experience on international corporate board during transitions, acquisitions, and mergers.
- Experience in audit, finance, development, and leadership succession on corporate and non-profit boards.
- AXIS Capital Holdings Ltd. – Member of the Board of Directors and Audit and Corporate Governance Committees (2013-2017). NYSE- listed (AXS) leader in global specialty insurance and reinsurance, headquartered in Bermuda with offices in New York, London, Ireland and Singapore.
- Mizuho Trust & Banking Co. (USA) – Member of the Board of Directors and Executive and Examining Committees (2000–2017). U.S. trust subsidiary of Mizuho Financial Group, the second largest financial institution in Japan.
- Yasuda Bank & Trust Company (U.S.A.) – Director – first woman to serve on a Japanese bank New York subsidiary board (1988–1994); rejoined 1999-2000 during 4-bank merger – renamed DKF Trust Company (USA) and then Mizuho Trust & Banking Co. (USA).
Member of the Following Advisory and Non-Profit Boards:
- Aspen Institute – Lifetime Trustee (Audit Committee, Finance Committee, Global Leadership Committee, International Committee, Public Policy Programs Committee) (1988–Present)
- Asia Foundation – Trustee (Development Committee, Program Review Committee, Partners in Asia Committee, Presidential Search Committee) (2003–2011; 2012-Present)
- Council on Foreign Relations – Chairman’s Forum (2000–2005); Life Membership Committee (2008–2018); Member (1978–Present)
- Committee of 100 – Member (former Vice Chair, Director, Membership Committee Chair, Leadership Transition Committee Chair, Northeast Region Chair) (1993–Present)
- Deloitte & Touche – Member (Chair, 2010-2012) of Deloitte Diversity External Advisory Board (2005–2012)
- Yale University, Davenport College – Associate Fellow (2007–Present)
Awards and Recognition
- Yale Medal (2020)
- Sandra Day O’Connor DirectWomen Distinguished Alumnae Award (2017)
- Chambers Women in Law – Outstanding Achievement Award (2015)
- National Association of Asian American Professionals (New York) – Most Influential APA New Yorkers Award (2013)
- Boy Scouts of America (NY Councils) – Distinguished Woman of the Year (2011)
- Yale Asian American Alumni Leadership Award (2011)
- New Jersey’s Best 50 Women in Business by NJBIZ (2010)
- ASCEND “Inspirational Leadership Award” (2010)
- DirectWomen Board Institute – one of 20 selectees (2008)
Selected Speaking Engagements
- SCMP China Conference (New York) – “US-China Relations” (December 2019)
- DirectWomen Alumnae Institute (New York) – “Women on Corporate Boards” (October 2017)
- Harvard Law School Symposium – “Corporate Governance” (October 2014)
- DirectWomen Alumnae Institute (New York) – “Women on Corporate Boards” (June2013)
- Aspen Institute Cultural Diplomacy Summit (Tokyo) – “Global Governance and Development – Conversation with Madame Ogata” (September 2012)
- Yale University – “Emerging Markets – Can Asia Keep Up?” (March 2012)
- Moody’s Corporation (New York) – “Doing Business in China and India” (February 2012)
- Harvard Alumni Summit – “Asia Rising: Opportunities and Risks” (October 2010)
- Asia Society (New York) – “Asian-Americans Changing the Landscape” (May 2010)
- Harvard Asia Business Conference – “Business and Government — Public & Private Partnerships in China” (March 2010)
- Wide Angle, PBS Interview (“The People’s Court – China”) (July 2007)
- The News Hour with Jim Lehrer, PBS (“US-China-Taiwan Relations”)
- The Charlie Rose Show, PBS (“The Hong Kong Handover”)
- ABC Nightline (“Asian American Experience”)
- CNN International
- Feature articles in: The New York Times, Fortune, Forbes, Business Week, Newsweek, and The National Law Journal
- Harvard Law School – JD (cum laude; East Asian Legal Studies Program; research assistant and advisor to the Admissions Committee) (1974).
- Yale College – AB (magna cum laude, Graduation with Distinction and Honors in major – East Asian Studies; first class of women graduates (1971); Bates Fellowship to Japan to study under Yasunari Kawabata, the first Japanese Nobel Prize Winner in Literature (1970).