As a C-suite executive and board advisor, Denise Kuprionis has been in the corporate boardroom for 20+ years. She serves on a private company board, a major medical center’s board of trustees and has served on national nonprofit boards.
As an executive, Denise worked closely with division operators, created an in-house legal department, developed HR policy and executive compensation programs, instituted a corporate-wide ethics policy and established a compliance and risk management program. She led management teams during significant corporate transactions, including “going public” and "spinning a company."
As a director, in addition to governance, compensation, ERM and legal skills; she brings a collaborative style and an understanding of how boards work, plus a diverse perspective, a willingness to listen and to ask questions. She has chaired search committees, and developed succession and leadership transition plans. While her skills cross industry boundaries, she has experience in the media, healthcare and education fields; and has worked with public, family-controlled and private companies.
- Leadership and collaboration
- Compensation, HR and legal
- Risk assessment
- Ethics, compliance, hotlines
- Corporate governance
- Corporate boardroom experience
president, The Governance Solutions Group, a board advisory practice.
vice president, secretary and chief ethics & compliance officer, The E.W. Scripps Company, a media company.
During her 32-year Scripps career, Denise held numerous leadership positions, including chief governance officer, chief compliance officer, chief ethics officer, senior in-house counsel, senior compensation officer, administrative officer and corporate giving officer. Key accomplishments include:
- Member of the steering committee, and leader of the legal team for the legacy company, that successfully managed the 2008 spin of the company’s networks and interactive divisions into a separately traded public company.
- Developed the company's GRC program (governance, enterprise risk management, compliance and ethics) including writing the company's first corporate-wide code of ethics, creating the ethics program, launching a “whistle blower” line and forming a comprehensive compliance program.
- Established the company's first in-house legal department, launching a transformation that enabled a corporate legal function across operating divisions that supported clients on all business issues and lowered outside counsel expense.
- Instituted the company’s corporate secretary’s office focusing on governance best practices and board-management processes and relations.
- Served as an advisor for the development of the Scripps family office.
Education, License & Certification
- DirectWomen Board Institute, alumna (September 2009, DW is a for-profit board leadership program, founded by the ABA’s Business Law Section and Catalyst)
- Admitted to the Practice of Law in the State of Ohio (1995)
- Juris Doctorate degree from the Salmon P. Chase College of Law at NKU (1994)
- Bachelor of Science in Management from Northern Kentucky University (1985)
For-Profit Board Service
- Best Upon Request – board of advisors - elected to a three-year term in August 2011. (BUR is a privately held company that offers on-site concierge services nationwide.)
Not-for-Profit Board Service – Current
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center – Trustee (committee work: executive, compensation & management development, audit & compliance, nominating & governance and education)
- College of Mount St. Joseph – Trustee (former board chair)
- Committee member at the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber of Commerce, the YWCA of Greater Cincinnati (former board chair) and United Way of Greater Cincinnati
Professional Affiliations - Current
- The Goering Center for Family and Private Business (facilitator, Next Generation Institute)
- DirectWomen (national committee member)
- National Association of Corporate Directors
- Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals
- Cincinnati, Ohio, and American Bar Associations
- November 2012 – finalist for the Cincinnati USA Chamber's WE Celebrate Business Awards as “Woman of the Year – Entrepreneur”
- October 2009 – recipient of the Chase College of Law Alumni Association’s
- December 2007 – honored by the Cincinnati USA Chamber's WE Celebrate Business Awards as “Woman of the Year – Corporate”
- May 1999 – honored as a YWCA Career Woman of Achievement
- Fall 1998 – received Northern Kentucky University’s Outstanding Alumnus Award
Born May, 1956. Happily married. Two step-sons, two daughters-in-law, six wonderful grandchildren.