Class of 2009
EXECUTIVE POSITIONS: CLO ~ CECO ~ Corporate Secretary
INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE: Newspapers, Media & Entertainment ~ Medical ~ Concierge Services ~ Education ~ Membership
Denise founded GSG, a board advisory practice. Through her work, she has helped boards of directors adapt effective governance practices to fit within their unique companies; assisted with designing and implementing CEO succession plans and leadership development plans; and helped families initiate family meetings and develop family councils.
Prior to GSG, Denise was a successful corporate officer at The E.W. Scripps Company-Scripps Networks. During her 32-year Scripps’ career, she held numerous leadership positions and was the first woman elected an officer of the company. She led corporate governance, legal, employee relations, management development, compliance, ethics and risk management functions. Exercising well-honed leadership skills, she helped the company forge a strategy for a rapidly changing business environment.
- Leadership – Denise founded a board advisory practice and is a former officer and member of the senior management team of a publicly traded media company. Her extensive successes are a result of effectively leading and adapting during transformative times.
- Succession planning, executive compensation, human capital management, legal, risk assessment – She was a public company’s first in-house lawyer, developed a legal department; drafted and implemented compensation, management development and continuity plans; established and executed a compliance, ethics and enterprise-wide risk management program.
- Corporate governance and boardroom experience – Her learning agility and twenty-five years’ experience inside the corporate boardroom give her a unique sense of board dynamics that enables collaboration and consensus. Additionally, Denise has written and published articles on corporate governance matters and is a frequent speaker on topics that help directors increase board effectiveness.
Key Professional Affiliations
- Society for Corporate Governance
- Senior Fellow at the Conference Board’s Governance Center
- NACD Board Leadership Fellow
Education, License, and Certifications
- The Wharton School, Boards that Lead Program (February 2018)
- NACD Board Leadership Fellow (December 2013 – current)
- DirectWomen Board Institute (September 2009 – current)
- Admitted to the Practice of Law in the State of Ohio (1995 – current)
- Juris Doctorate degree from the Salmon P. Chase College of Law at NKU (1994)
- Bachelor of Science in Management from Northern Kentucky University (1985)