Harvard Business School September 2008 to Present
Position: Senior Lecturer
- Courses: Leadership and Corporate Accountability; Law, Management, and Entrepreneurship; Owner President Manager Executive Education Program
- Publications list available here.
FMR LLC /Fidelity Investments March 1996 to June 2008
- Executive Vice President-Strategic Corporate Initiatives — June 2007 to June 2008
- Executive Vice President and General Counsel — November 2002 to June 2007
- Senior Vice President and General Counsel — February 1999 to November 2002
- Vice President and General Counsel — April 1997 to February 1999
- Senior Vice President & Deputy General Counsel — January 1997 to April 1997
- Vice President and Corporate Counsel — March 1996 to January 1997
Board and Oversight Committee Experience at Fidelity.
- Advisor to the FMR Corp. (predecessor of FMR LLC.) Board of Directors and the Boards of various subsidiaries, the Fidelity Foundations, and the Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund. Board service on Fidelity subsidiary boards including: Empire Fidelity Life Insurance Company; Fidelity Insurance Agency Inc.; Fidelity Personal Trust Company, FSB; Fidelity Thrift Holding Company, Inc.; FMR Properties, Inc.; FMR Rhode Island, Inc.; FMR UK Real Estate, Inc.; FMR European Real Estate, LLC; Metroplex MobileComm, Inc.
- Management and Oversight committee service including: Fidelity’s Global Risk Oversight Committee; Non-Audit Services Committee; Audit Committee; Net Asset Value Determination Committees; Executive Steering Committee for Implementation of Accounting Rules Changes; Y2K Executive Sponsors’ Committee; Privacy Sponsors’ Committee; Document Management Committee; Corporate Crisis Management Team; 9/11 Legal and Operations Recovery Committee; Social Security Policy Committee; Computer Tools Steering Committees; Policy Simplification Committee; Opinions Committee; Opportunities for Improvement and Centers of Excellence Executive Steering Committee; Succession Planning Committee; Corporate Structure Executive Sponsors; Compensation Review Steering Committee; Share Plan Design Committee
Sullivan & Worcester LLP
Management Committee 1992 to 1996; Partner 10/85 to 2/96; Associate 3/79 to 10/85
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom Associate 9/78 to 3/79
Boards and Advisory Committees:
- BlackRock Equity Bond Funds: Independent Director; Compliance Committee
- Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, Inc.: Director; Chair of Audit Committee; Finance Committee
- Greek LLC; Director (Greek Fine/ Fast Casual Restaurants)
- Museum of Fine Arts of Boston—Overseer; Marketing and Communications Committee
- Women’s Cancers Program of the Dana-Farber (Executive Steering Committee 2004-2017)
- South Shore Art Center, Cohasset, MA (Advisory Board (1999-Present); Board of Directors and Finance Committee (1999-2003))
- Harvard Law School: Visiting Committee (2003-2011); Center on Lawyers and the Professional Services Industry Advisory Board (2008-20012) ; Co-Chair 30th Reunion Committee
- Chatham University Board of Trustees (2007-2010)
- New England Legal Foundation (Vice Chair (2006-2008); Director; and Co-Chair of the Presidential Search Committee (2006))
- Boston Bar Association (Member of the Council (2000 – 2004) Diversity Leadership Task Force member;
- Boston Bar Foundation (President (2003 – 2004; VP (2002 – 2003)); Executive Fellow; Chair (2001) and Vice Chair (2000), John and Abigail Adams Ball)
- Morin Center for Banking and Financial Law of Boston University Law School (Advisory Board through 2011)
- GEMs of Hope U.S.A. (Director 2000-2011-Women’s self-help and micro-enterprise);
- D.A.R.E. Family Services (Director and Member of Executive Committee (1985 – 1999) (D.A.R.E. provides foster care, mentor services, job training, adoption and other social services)
- Arthritis Foundation of Massachusetts (Trustee, 1999–2003)
- Boston Lawyer’s Group (Fidelity Representative (2002-2004))
Awards and Recognition:
- Named one of “50 Most Influential In-House Counsel” by Inside Counsel Magazine
- Appleseed Foundation and Appleseed of Massachusetts 2008 “Good Apple” award in recognition of pro bono and public service.
- Selected as “In-House Leader in the Law” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly and New England In-House.
- Traphagen Distinguished Alumni Speaker – Harvard Law School
- Cornerstone Award – Chatham College/Chatham University
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Directors’ Roundtable/National Law Journal Presentation and Honoree
- DirectWomen Board Institute (2008)
Other Teaching and Research Experience:
- Visiting Teacher – September 1985 to June 2008; Massachusetts Institute of Technology –Sloan School; “Law for the Entrepreneur and Manager” (formerly – “The Manager’s Legal Function”).
- Teaching Fellow at Harvard College (Law and Social Order); Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Intro. Philosophy; Ethics) and University of Pittsburgh (Logic; Intro. Philosophy).
- Research Assistant to Professor Charles Fried and Professor Abram Chayes, Harvard Law School.
- Panel Participant on continuing legal education programs
- Harvard Law School – J.D. cum laude
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Ph.D. Candidate in Philosophy
- University of Pittsburgh – Ph.D. Program in Philosophy; Mellon Fellowship
- Chatham College/University – B.A. Phi Beta Kappa, Junior Year; Departmental Honors in Philosophy
Admitted to Practice of Law:
Massachusetts; U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit; U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts