Chair and CEO of a Global 100 Law Firm with a sustained track record in driving revenue growth, leading successful mergers, innovating client service models and streamlining operations which doubled profitability and productivity. Fifteen plus years as a public company director with experience in the financial payments, biotech, networking, semi-conductor, engineering, chemical and carbon materials industries. Ms. Cranston is a Qualified Financial Expert and has extensive cybersecurity experience.
VISA, Inc., Director, 2007 to present. Chair of audit committee 2013 to 2019.
TPG, Inc., Director 2022 to present. Chair of the compensation committee and chair of the conflicts committee.
MyoKardia, Inc., Director, 2016 to November 2020. Chair of audit committee, and of nominating and governance committee.
CSAA Insurance, Director, 2010 to 2021. Chair of compensation and governance committee.
Chemours, Director, July 2015 to present. Chair of nominating and governance committee.
McAfee, 2018 to March 2022. Chair of audit committee.
Fiduciary Trust Company International, 2016 to present.
Juniper Networks, Inc., Director, 2007 to 2015. Chair of nomination committee 2011 to 2015. Service on nomination and audit committees.
International Rectifier, Inc., Director, 2008 to 2015. Chair of nomination committee 2011 to 2015. Service on nomination and compensation committees.
Exponent, Inc., Director, 2010 to 2014. Chair of compensation committee 2013 to 2014. Service on nomination and compensation committees.
Graftech International Ltd., Director, 1999 to 2014. Lead Director from 2007 to 2014. Service on the audit, compensation and nomination committees.
Stanford Children’s Hospital and Network, Director, 2010 to December 2016. Board Chair 2012 to December 2016. Service on audit, finance, nomination, strategy and compensation committees.
Stanford University, Trustee, 2000 to 2010. Chair of compensation committee and alumni committee. Service on audit committee.
PILLSBURY WINTHROP SHAW PITTMAN LLP San Francisco, CA 1975 – 2011
Retired Senior Partner and Chair Emeritus (2012 to present)
Firm Senior Partner and Chair Emeritus (2007 to 2011)
Elected to three successive terms as CEO of this Global 100 law firm. P&L and strategic responsibility for $580M in gross revenues and 2000 employees in 16 offices worldwide.
- Launched six-year national and international expansion program which added seven offices in the U.S., Europe and Asia and 400 lawyers.
- Closed two of the largest law firm mergers in history on budget and on schedule, increasing annual gross revenues from $224M to $580M.
- Improved firm profits and profits per partner by over 125%.
- Developed a client-team based service model which has become the industry standard, and which increased revenues of the firm’s top 100 clients by 50%.
- Achieved top-10 rankings among American law firms for women and minority partners through the introduction of diversity programs, and initiated policies that placed Pillsbury on Working Woman Magazine’s list of the top 100 companies in the U.S. for women.
Litigation Practice Section Leader (1975-1998)
Promoted from Associate (1975-1982) and Partner (1982-1996) to leader of a 300-person litigation department, overseeing litigation for Fortune 500 companies in 48 states and abroad.
- Personally litigated over 300 class actions in core specialties of antitrust, securities and telecommunications.
- Expert in telecommunications regulation.
- Inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers in recognition of exceptional trial skills.
COMMUNITY AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
Stanford University, President of the Alumni Association, 1990; Chair of the Law School Board of Visitors 2003 to 2004.
Commonwealth Club, Director 2003 to present, Chair 2006-2009.
Catalyst, Director, 2006 to present.
San Francisco Ballet, Trustee, 1996 to 2012.
Margaret Brent Award, the ABA’s highest award for lifetime achievement to a woman lawyer, including demonstrated extraordinary commitment to the advancement of other women.
Awarded the Athena award as the top businesswoman of Northern California by the San Francisco Business Times.
Chosen as one of the 100 most influential lawyers in the U.S. by the National Law Journal.
Named as one of the top two law firm leaders in the U.S. by Of Counsel magazine.
Recipient of the San Francisco Business Times Outstanding Directors Award 2013.
Recipient of the DirectWomen Sandra Day O’Connor Board Excellence Award 2013.
Named to the NACD’s 2014 Directorship 100 List which recognizes leading corporate directors who significantly impact boardroom practices and performance.
1975, JD Stanford Law School, Law Review
1970 MA UCLA, Educational Psychology
1969 BA Stanford University, Political Science, With Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa